Tuesday, August 22, 2006

My Portugal phone

I promised some more on the matter of phones and cars.

The ban on using a phone whilst driving hits new depts of insanity. Driving carefully behind a squadcar today, what do I see? Crimestoppers - ring 1800 25 00 25. On a squad car, driving along a busy road. Now, If I was a painter, I'd have a script on my van. Nuts the painter, ring 1800 25 00 25 for a free quotation yadda yadda yadda. In the hope that some sad bugger would ring, based on the display of the info. Now, applying the same logic to the display of telephone numbers on a garda patrol car operated by the traffic corps, what I saw was an invitation to break the law.

Check this link and note the phone number:

http://www.garda.ie/angarda/vehicles/jeep.jpg

I wonder if the drug squad cars drive about with a sign saying Go on, have a rollie?

And, on the roadside, are a whole bunch of signs also asking the honest joes of Ireland to report traffic violations on the wing. This in a country where the universally popular practise of flashing oncoming cars means there's a motorbike cop behind the next furze bush half a mile ahead of you. So what do you do? 'hello Sergeant, I want to report a serious crime. The fella in the car that just passed me was on the phone, so he was, the dangerous hoor. Where am I now? Well, I'm about five mile from where it happened. Well, I'm six mile from it now. Seven, maybe eight. Can you ring me back, Sergeant, my pipe is quenched and I must light it again. Thanks very much.'

What is honest joe supposed to do, even if he does see a mass murder being perpetrated in a Mini on the motorway? Wait until he sees a phone box?

It calls for joined-up thinking, which doesn't permeate decision taking in this green and pleasant land, not yet by a long shot.

Nuts

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home